5 Key Leadership Skills That You Can Develop with Laughter

Leadership takes courage, grit, and a sense of humor in tough times. As a performer of improvisational comedy, I regularly practice building all three of these things both on stage and in the rehearsal room. The basic lessons i have learned in improv have helped me be a better leader. This got me thinking about how the lessons i teach to my improv students can help people become stronger leaders themselves. Here are the top 5 leadership principles that I believe improv is great at developing! Read More…

I don’t want to bark like a dog!

Last week I worked with a group from a nonprofit organization and they had a blast learning how to strengthen relationships amongst their team and with their clients. After the workshop, one participant stopped to thank me and let me know how relieved she was that she didn’t have to “bark like a dog in front of people.” Like many people that have never done improv, she was very nervous leading up to the workshop.

Take the #100HappyImprovDays countdown challenge!

100 happy improv days

Its hard to believe that almost 1 year ago, Finest City Improv broke ground on their very own theater in North Park, San Diego! And what better way to commemorate the event than to launch an epic countdown challenge!

Are you up for the #100HappyImprovDays challenge?

Long Form Improv: So much more than a quick laugh!

When done well, a good show offers something more than a quick laugh. Maybe it made you think, or surprised you with its complexity and uniqueness -that’s the beauty of long form improv. Finest City Improv’s Assistant Artistic Director breaks it down for us.

Taking risks starts by saying “yes!”

You and I have some things in common. For starters, we have dreams and goals and the drive to make them into our realities. But we don’t stop there. We not only want to live up to our high expectations, we want to accomplish them all with grace and courage and strength.

And I want you to know, I believe it is possible. And learning improv can help you.

When I set out to accomplish my life’s dreams, I had my plan and my course of action. But, spoiler alert, my plans changed.

Read More…

Our Story

Early one Saturday morning while driving from San Diego to Los Angeles for improv, it suddenly dawned on Amy… “Why am I making this long trip to another city to learn and perform improvisation? Shouldn’t San Diego have a place where people from all walks of life, all ages, and all levels of experience come together to laugh, learn and perform?”

We want to help your charity!

Community challenges can be better addressed when businesses and non-profits align their interests and pool their resources. We are happy to partner with charitable organizations to achieve common goals. The challenges that are most important to us are working to better the lives of youth, especially foster youth, and fighting cancer (because cancer is stupid). If you work with a not-for-profit organization that is working in either of these general areas please contact us to discuss how we might help you.

FCI appears in the Uptown News

David Misch’s recent visit to Finest City Improv was highlighted in the Uptown News!! HUGE thank you to David for the successful lecture that we learned so much from! “This was a real treat for anyone who loves comedy,” said Kat Brown, community manager of Finest City Improv, a homegrown … Read More