Continually striving for diversity, equity, and inclusiveness on and off the stage.
DEI Mission Statement
We firmly believe that diverse experiences, points of view, and perspectives are essential to our mission of using improv to bring more courage and joy to people in San Diego. Our art form, our community, and all of our lives are better when our classrooms and stage are diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
We are committed to ensuring our community is at least reflective of San Diego’s population, and ideally more diverse, using our platforms to amplify the perspectives of those with less privilege than others. We are committed to fostering an environment that actively values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and that these values are upheld in all areas of our organization from the classroom to the stage.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Advisory Board (DEI Board)
The DEI board is a volunteer group made up of teachers, students, and performers.
The purpose of the board is to provide advice, insights, and recommendations to FCI to ensure the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are upheld in the classroom and on the stage. They advise on the creation of policies, programs, and community outreach that increase diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The DEI board discusses and provides guidance to FCI management on issues such as, but not limited to
- Formalizing current and future DEI mission, goals, and initiatives.
- Policies and procedures regarding the board itself and how they advise FCI and help hold us accountable for these initiatives.
- Programming for students, performers, and teachers (workshops, events, etc.) that work towards achieving greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Advising on the collection of and reporting on student, performer, and teacher demographics.
- Methods for interested parties to contribute (monetary or otherwise) to help support DEI internally, and externally in the surrounding community.
- Assist with the recruitment of instructors from diverse backgrounds, including race, gender, age, and sexual orientation, including bringing visiting artists when needed.
- Recommendations for outreach initiatives into local communities.
- Raising awareness of DEI issues, initiatives, and accomplishments within our community.
FCI Mighty Network
FCI provides a private social network and online learning platform for all students, performers, staff, and alumni. We maintain a DEI group on that network for sharing resources with our community, learning opportunities, group discussions, and more. If you are a member of our community on the network please join the DEI group!